Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Way They Were: Toy Stores

As a little girl, the only toy store I knew was the aisles of Fedco. And the rare times we did go to the toy store it was always Toys-r-Us...come to think of it, we probably did go that often to avoid the inevitable "Lydia whine and tantrum"...
Anyway, I always wanted to go to a toy store like the ones they show in the movies. Toys from floor to ceiling, in every nook and cranny: giant teddy bears, mysterious magic sets, wind-up robots, real tea sets, scratch-n-sniff sticker books, fairy dust, bucket-o-slime, disappearing ink,musical keepsake boxes and sparkly geodes. To my delight there are many of these mom n' pop toy shops around!

Noah-the-Pooh's 7th birthday is coming up on December 2nd, so we visited one such nostalgic toy store with a crisp, new $100 bill Grandpa Raffi gave him for his birthday. And I will never forgive myself for not taking my camera to take pictures of such a beautiful shop! Any who, Noah-the-Pooh, after much contemplation, chose a cash register, a dino egg and a wooden pistol that shoots giant rubber bands. Plus he still had plenty of money left over for a rainy day!


Yes the dino egg is missing from this photo. We think Jack-Jack kidnapped it...

If you live nearby, take a peak at The Enchanted Toy Store in Fullerton, or swing by our other favorite The Wishing Well in historical Uptown Whittier.

You can also checkout Forbes 10 Amazing Toy Stores in America for more treasured toy stores.

Know of a great mom n' pop toy shop? Please list it in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Toy stores have (by and large) changed drastically since I was a child. Or perhaps, it's more the toys themselves that have shifted. I'll always be nostalgic for the toys stores I remember from my 80s childhood, but am thankful, as you mentioned, that mom and pop shops are still around. I'm a big kid at heart and still love to visit toy shops when the occasion arises.

    Wishing you a gorgeous & joyful December, sweetie!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin