Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanksgiving Traditions


Family traditions are wonderful, aren't they? Traditions create memories, instill values, strengthen family bonds and teach a little history all at the same time. One of my favorite Thanksgiving traditions is helping my Abuelita Lola make her super yummy stuffing. I love hearing all the clattering pots and smelling the delicious Thanksgiving feast fragrances as I helped Abuelita chop, slice and mix. Now that I'm older (and she's more delicate), Abuelita has passed the tradition of making her famous stuffing to me! And now that I have my own family, we are creating our own Thanksgiving traditions. Here are some of our new traditions:
  • As shared in a previous post, we go pumpkin hunting at the Tanaka Farm and bake our giant pumpkin into homemade pumpkin pies for Thanksgiving. We use Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie recipe, though we use our fresh pumpkin (that has been roasted) instead of the canned and we also add a touch of allspice.

  • We read about the struggles that the Pilgrims had in their first years in the new world before the first Thanksgiving. This is an article from the Mayflower Quarterly, a poem by Hezekiah Butterworth, a virtual tour of daily pilgrim life and a bible study.

  • We help our church distribute Thanksgiving meals to families in need.

What are some of your Thanksgiving Family Traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin